Cup, Cancer & Cricket - The Yuvraj Singh Story
Natural Remedies and Dietary Changes for Lung Cancer
Lung cancer begins in the lungs. Your lungs are two light organs in your chest that take in oxygen when you breathe in and discharge carbon dioxide when you breathe out.
Lung cancer is the main source of disease causing deaths in the United States, among men and women both. Lung cancer undertakes a larger number of lives every year than colon, prostate, ovarian and bosom tumors jointly.
Individuals who smoke have the most serious danger of lung cancer. The danger of lung cancer is more with the time passes and number of cigarettes you have smoked. In the event that you quit smoking, even after smoking for a long time, chances of developing lung cancer can reduce significantly.
Some common lung cancer symptoms include:
- Cough for a long time
- Changes in a chronic cough or smokers cough
- Blood in Cough
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in Chest
- Out of breath
- Significant Weight Loss with no such efforts
- Muscle Pain
Smoking causes most of lung cancers — both in smokers and in individuals used to smoke. Be that as it may, lung cancer likewise happens in individuals who never smoked and in the individuals who never had drawn out presentation to used smoke. In these cases, there might be no reasonable reason for lung cancer.
Dietary Changes for Lung Cancer
Foods That You Should Consume
Protein Rich Foods
- Lean meat, chicken, and fish
- Beans, nuts, and seeds
- Cheese, milk, and yogurt
- Whole wheat breads
- Brown rice
- Whole grain pastas
- Fruits and vegetables offer the body antioxidants, which can help fight against cancer.
Foods That You Should Avoid
- Fried and greasy foods
- High-fat red meat
- Processed or preserved foods
- Nutrient supplements
How to treat Lung Cancer?
Some of the commonly availed medical treatments include:
- Surgery to remove the affected portion of the lung.
- Chemotherapy usually follows surgery to kill the other cancerous cells nearby. It is also availed if the affected individual is at high risk of recurrence.
- Radiation therapy that uses high doses of radiation to kill cancer cells can also be opted for in the later stages.
- Targeted therapy – Some targeted drugs like Avastin and Cyramzanay also be prescribed to prevent the formation of new tumors.
- Immunotherapy – It uses certain drugs to boost one’s immune system to recognize and destroy cancer cells. It can be used to treat certain forms of non-small cell lung cancer.
Alternative treatments that can help in managing the symptoms of lung cancer and the side effects associated with its treatment are:
- Acupuncture – It involves inspiring specific points of the body with thin needles. It can help with symptoms of anxiety, depression, nausea and pain.
- Hypnosis – This helps in uplifting your focus and attention. It can help you give up smoking while also helping to relieve anxiety, nausea, and pain.
- Massage – It can help relieve pain and stress and help relaxation.
- Meditation – It helps with strain and anxiety that is associated with managing lung cancer.
- Yoga – The various stretching and breathing exercises that may go with yoga poses can help reduce symptoms of pain, sleeplessness, nervousness, and dejection or depression.
Best Diet Recommendations For Lung Cancer
Some foods that are known to help fight lung cancer are:
- Pears And Apples – These fruits contain a phytochemical called phloretin that is known for its anti-cancer activities.
- Green Tea – The phenols present in green tea can aid ongoing lung cancer cure in working better.
- Fatty Fish – They are rich in vitamin D and can help in restraining the growth of lung cancer.
- Ginger – It helps with the symptoms and also stops further increase of lung cancer.
- Turmeric – The major component in turmeric is curcumin that can assist restrain the persistent nature of lung cancer cells.
- Berries – Berries like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and cranberries are loaded with anthocyanidins that can restrain the growth of lung cancer.
Did You Know?
Are Herbs and Spice Beneficial for Lung Cancer Patients?
When you are undergoing lung cancer treatment, food may not be as desirable. This is especially true if your taste has diminished or changed. Adding herbs and spices to your foods can help enhance the flavours and make them more enjoyable to eat. But did you know that certain spices are beneficial for your health as a lung cancer patient?
Below are a just a few spices and herbs to consider when cooking or preparing your meals to benefit your health and nutritional status.
- Herbs - parsley, basil, oregano and rosemary